Having a sink choke is not exactly an ideal situation at home. Due to the frequent use of kitchen sinks and toilet wash basins, having a sink choke in the kitchen and bathroom are the 2 common types of plumbing emergencies in Singapore. Out of all the clogged sink chokes we have seen; kitchen sink chokes have always been more common than toilet sink chokes. This is mostly owing to the fact that kitchen sinks are more likely than toilet sinks to become clogged as a result of their many usages.
What causes a kitchen sink choke?
Food is the main reason that cause a kitchen sink choke. It is good practice to always remove as much food debris as possible and throw them into the trash, rather than down your sink. Bottle traps are commonly installed in sinks to catch large particles and keep them out of the pipe system, but this does not imply we may take advantage of this preventive feature. Over time, these bottle traps will get full, it will eventually cause a congestion, making the kitchen sink drain pipes clogged.
Grease is also a major cause of kitchen sink choke. Once oily substances have cooled, they will harden and clog your drain pipes. Grease builds up in the pipes over time, trapping and collecting other debris rinsed down the drain, such as food waste and other particles of dirt. This type of clog is difficult to clear with DIY methods, and if not addressed properly, it may quickly worsen.
What causes a toilet sink choke?
The accumulation of hair particles after years of usage contributes as the main reason why there is a toilet sink choke. The hair can become mixed up with the sludge in the pipes and build up over time. This will develop into a solid ball of mass that will clog the toilet sink. Sometimes, common self-grooming items such as cotton swabs, tissue paper or even cotton balls can also cause a toilet sink choke.
Though uncommon, sometimes small objects such as bolts and screws can somehow find their way into the sink drainage system. These items often go undetected until a clog happens. When mixed with other clog-causing substances, it will eventually cause a full chokage.
Good home practices to prevent a sink choke
To prevent kitchen sink choke
- When doing the dishes, always use a drain strainer. Any food waste will be trapped on the drain strainer, preventing it from entering the drain pipes.
- When disposing of used oil or grease, do not pour it down the sink; instead, wait for it to cool before pouring it into a trash bag and discarding it.
- Once a week, make it a habit to pour some boiling water down the kitchen sink drain. Any grease or oil that has built up inside the pipes will be melted by this method. To avoid splashing and burning yourself, do exercise extra caution when handling hot water.
To prevent toilet sink choke
- Use drain screens, similar to drain strainers, act as an object-catcher, catching any items such as hair, soap residues, and foreign wash-offs that are too large for the drain or could cause a build-up.
- Clean the debris that has accumulated on the hair catcher or drain stopper on a regular basis in bathroom sinks. Hair, soap residues, and other foreign items can accumulate on the sink stoppers, causing slow drainage and blockage.
Other pointers to note
- On a monthly basis, use enzyme cleaning products found in supermarkets and hardware stores to clean your sink. These cleaning products contain natural enzymes and bacteria that can break down clogs in pipes.
- If there’s any painting to be done at home, never dispose the leftover paint or paint thinner down the drain as this will contribute greatly to clogs.
Make sure that you try and plunge the drain first. Use your plunger and place it over the blocked drain. Use a downward motion to loosen up the problem. You’ll need to use the plunger on the drain several times before it gets cleared or drained. However, you shouldn’t do it too many times in order to see a result.
The next step is to try to dislodge whatever is stuck in the drain with a plumbing snake or a wire, but if that doesn’t work, contact Plumbing Hub via WhatsApp or call us at +65 8126 2092 immediately for assistance. You can count on us to deliver professional and reliable service with quality workmanship.